SPF's Outer Haven

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skits, Parodies, and Forums

5 posters

Killzone 2 demo impressions

Zenkimaru
    Zenkimaru
    God-King

Male Number of posts : 7
    Location : Iceland or the Philippines or Hasting or this place
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Killzone 2 demo impressions Empty Killzone 2 demo impressions

Post  Zenkimaru Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:59 am

The Killzone 2 demo hit the PSN today for gamestop preorder customers and people with European accounts so I figured I would make a Thread for us to share our thoughts on it.

I found the game to be very enjoyable especially after switching the control scheme to be more like call of duty. The weapons seem to have a solid feel and grenades have a nice short fuse. The cover system is interesting and will take some time to master, but i feel that it is a good addition.

Please post your thoughts on the demo once you have tried it.
    Danji
    Danji
    Lord of the God-Kings

Male Number of posts : 73

Killzone 2 demo impressions Empty Re: Killzone 2 demo impressions

Post  Danji Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:31 am

Great demo, it's just too short Sad

I've played it through 2 times now, going in for my fourth time. Of course the graphics are spectacular, but the game is extremely enjoyable too. I think the best thing about it (other than the impact of each bullet and the style of FPS) is knife-battling some motherfucking Helghast.

I really want to play the MP though Sad

Oh..and Tenchu 4 blows.
    J0E
    Shit Enthusiast

Male Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2009-02-03

Post  J0E Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:40 am

Danji wrote:Great demo, it's just too short Sad

I've played it through 2 times now, going in for my fourth time. Of course the graphics are spectacular, but the game is extremely enjoyable too. I think the best thing about it (other than the impact of each bullet and the style of FPS) is knife-battling some motherfucking Helghast.

I really want to play the MP though Sad

Agreed. The demo was way to short. It was a cock tease and it left me blue balled.

Killzone 2 demo impressions Blueballs
    Danji
    Danji
    Lord of the God-Kings

Post  Danji Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:20 am

No complaints? Personally, I know the game isn't exactly my thing (not a HUGE FPS fan) but I'm excited to play it.

Oh wait, the voice acting. I mean, the writing and voice acting are so bad that I'm pretty sure SPF could do a better "dub". Throw in a couple 'WTF" moments and some believable "SHIT!!"s and it'd be much much better.

The knife is seriously one of the best things about this game. I haven't had so much fun with knives since Goldeneye. I pray that they're in multiplayer because that will be my quick-route to the shotgun!
    worf_killin_shat
    worf_killin_shat
    Creepy Mother Fucker

Number of posts : 45

Post  worf_killin_shat Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:41 am

Fun fact:

For those of you who didn't find this out, the second area of the demo in the warehouse. After the first wave of enemies, you'll encounter another wave with a soldier on the roof of the office-looking building with the tables and chairs in the corner of the room..

Throw grenades behinde him to lure him closer to the edge of the building and once he's close enough, shoot him in the legs and pray he falls forward and drops his weapon.

You'll get the Helghast StA14 Semi-automatic Rifle.

Awesome weapon with low ammo capacity and COD-style iron sight aiming. The only weapon I've found so far that will blow a Helghast's fucking head off with a gleeful "splatter" sound. No head, no helmet, just a bloddy mess where the head and neck were once located.

Also, the lack of a secondary fire kinda pissed me off, since I rather enjoyed the machine gun/shotgun combo of the Famas-esque Helghast StA-52 LAR

I also enjoy the fact that your character weilds a knife, which is great, since the only characters to weild the knife in the first game were the assassin and the half-breed. It's unfortunate that there are no direction-specific melee attacks in this game with the knife. I rather enjoed throwing the knife into an enemy's throat with the push of a button.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents out there.. Can't wait!

Oh, and the fact that you can't change the difficulty pisses me off also!

Hold on there, Danji. Before you rag on the voice-acting, remember the voice acting in the first game:

"Finally! Someone to help us move these crates!" *mortars area* "AAHHHHH!!!"
    Danji
    Danji
    Lord of the God-Kings

Post  Danji Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 am

worf_killin_shat wrote:Hold on there, Danji. Before you rag on the voice-acting, remember the voice acting in the first game:

"Finally! Someone to help us move these crates!" *mortars area* "AAHHHHH!!!"

I didn't play the first Killzone that far in...I'm sure if I got into FPS's back then I would have.

I understand the lack of secondary fire being frustrating but I'm of the opinion that a secondary fire might pull away from the immersion slightly. To me, the sole focus on the core gameplay is admirable. The reverting the knife back to a weapon of it's own and working on wind physics to alter grenade trajectories..seems like everything is more keenly focused on the core gameplay elements. It is, thusly, the exact opposite of Resistance in this regard. I like it. It doesn't tread a middle-ground and has a very distinct identity when it comes to gameplay and THAT is why I loved the demo.

I'd sign up for 10 hours of that in a heartbeat...but I am going to miss the shotgun-rifle ;_:
    Zetsubou J
    Zetsubou J
    God-King

Male Number of posts : 49

Post  Zetsubou J Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:08 pm

Aaah! God...damn...it! Urge to play Killzone 2 raising! Having a broken PS3 has never sucked this hard!!!
    worf_killin_shat
    worf_killin_shat
    Creepy Mother Fucker

Number of posts : 45

Post  worf_killin_shat Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:41 pm

I guess I do see your point. Running around a battlefield with the rifle shotgun combo or the light machine gun/rocket launcher combo does seem to take away from the realism this game worked so hard to maintain... As real as invading a planet full of Nazi mutants is gonna get anyways... Plus, removing the secondary fire seems to be the developers idea of having players rely on the specific weapon during a specific area, since you can breeze through almost any area in the first game with one weapon due to it's versatility.

I don't fully understand the role of the knife. I mean, you have a magnum with infinite bullets and ammo does seem plentiful for both the Helghast and ISA weapons you encounter (although, this could be because of the difficulty the demo's set at), so the knife seems kinda redundant. Although, it is fun to wield, so I can't knock on the knife too hard.
    Danji
    Danji
    Lord of the God-Kings

Post  Danji Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:15 am

Okay, post how many times you've played the demo. I'm going on my 6th time right now.

This game, is so nuts..the lighting is truly the most impressive part of this game. Deferred rendering has definitely paid off for Killzone 2.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content